Friday 29 June 2012

Baby Bricks (with a lamentable lack of photos)


I've made these personalised baby bricks three times now. I love them!

The first time I made them I'd left myself very little time to make a baby gift but really wanted to make something rather than buy. So, I went for something uncomplicated and relied on the fabric to do the work for me. What could be easier than five stuffed bricks?





So the fabric? I found another great online store: Gone to Earth where I bought the Joel Dewberry Modern Meadow Electric Blue Fabric Pack.

These bricks were made with four inch squares of fabric cut from four different designs and a coordinating plain fabric. To add some structure I used a medium weight iron-on interfacing on all fabric. The letters were appliqued to the plain fabric using felt (bond-a-webbed in place) and embroidery thread.


Each brick is comprised of two different patterned fabrics and a solid. My tip is to assemble them as per the diagram here. Finally, I stuffed each brick with toy stuffing and hand-sewed the final seam.

The next time I made these was for my own Treacle's first birthday. And you know what? There's no photo of them. I better go and fix that now.



Watch this space



I used the same technique but to pad out the number of bricks I appliqued shapes on two of the bricks.

I tried to make them fun rather than ornamental by adding some sound. Two bricks have a crinkle feature - I backed one square with cereal packet paper (inspired by this post on taggies). One brick has a bell  - a craft bell like these (although bought from my local sewing shop) is suspended (ahem, thread and sticky tape!) inside a plastic ball from a Kinder Egg which is then centred in the stuffing. I wish I had photos of them in progress. Next time.

And finally, I made these again for another friend using the same fabric selection as the first time. As usual it was a last minute affair and I don't have photos. Sigh.








No comments:

Post a Comment