Thursday 26 April 2012

KCWC Spring 2012 - Shorts


The second item I chose to make for KCWC is a pair of shorts for Poppet. Again these are made from an upcycled top of mine. The fabric is funky but very fine so I lined the shorts with a pink jersey.




The shorts were made using the Kids Pants with Lining tutorial from Made. I used the Oliver + S Sailboat Pants in size 3T as the basis for a pattern and shortened the legs. The shorts are pretty much reversable but definitely look nicer this way with the pretty fabric and the turnups.





It's only the second time I've sewn anything with a jersey fabric, other than replacing elastic in Poppet's PJs! I haven't had any problems but that might be thanks to the blogs I've been reading which gave me the best tips: luvinthemommyhood's sewing with knits series and made-by-rae knits. I didn't feel the need to use a walking foot but I did get a ballpoint needle (and a twin one that I didn't use on these shorts but did use on the hem of Treacle's flashback tee) and used a long very slight zigzag stitch. I'll let you know how well they wear.

So, the shorts took three days in all. I just don't have the stamina to sew all night like many of those posting to the KCWC flickr pool. My target for the rest of the week is to get a dress for Poppet sewn.

Edit: I finally got a shot of Poppet wearing the shorts-



No comments:

Post a Comment