Monday 16 July 2012

Elephants

Since I read Babar the Elephant stories as a child I have felt quite affectionate toward elephants.

Add caption

And then when I watched the Disney Tarzan movie back in 1999 I fell in love with Tantor - "want an elephant hair? I got a whole tail of 'em" (Check it out here )



It seems I'm not the only one who has a soft spot for this paciderm - see Kristen of Skirt as Top encouraging her daughter's love of all things Elephant.

Recently, I saw the fabric below in my local sewing shop (not known for modern and exciting fabric), and wanted to buy up all three rolls.
 



I revisited the shop this week and checked that they still have this fabric. They do, but the rolls are getting skinny. I need to decide what to make and act quickly. Would a soft toy elephant made from elephant fabric be too much? Perhaps.

One of the first things I made for Poppet was a soft elephant using a pattern in Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. I was really impressed with the clarity of the instructions - perfect for beginners - but a little disappointed that he didn't look quite as cute as the one in the book. Now I've made him a playmate (well, until we give him away) I realise it was the lack of print that made him look a bit somber.

The original Edgar the Elephant and his new friend, Edgar Jnr

I put less stuffing in Edgar Jnr and really like the result. A vibrant happy Elephant, with the name of a special baby on his blanket.









No comments:

Post a Comment