Thursday 12 July 2012

Scraps and other news

To give myself some TV-friendly hand sewing I've been working on english paper piecing. I find this a satisfying way to use up scraps. So satisfying in fact that I have now trimmed even the smallest of scraps into patchworking pieces.

2.5 inch squares, 1.5 inch squares, hexagons, 3.5 x 1.75 inch rectangles


No prizes for spotting the Amy Butler peacock fabric! There are also glimpses of Eric Carle's Hungry Caterpillar.


While the hexagons are perfect for english paper piecing, I'm not sure what the approach with the 2.5 inch squares will be - probably machine piecing. The rectangles will be used to make juggling balls/pattern weights. I have been piecing the tiny squares together freehand.

Hand-pieced 1.5 inch scraps

I think the effect is really lovely, even if it's not particularly tidy (it hasn't been ironed in the pic so looks worse than it might be!). I am considering making this an 8x8 square and adding a border to make it into a cushion front. 


When I haven't been cutting things up, I've been re-attaching buttons and other mundane tasks. On this theme I have been adjusting a pair of shoes for Treacle. Not just any shoes... gorgeous bloch shoes.




These adorable little things were a Christmas present but Treacle has such tiny feet they have only just reached fitting point. I have been adjusting the elastic because Poppet attempted to put them on her extremely-large-for-her-age feet and stretched it. Ah, the infuriating cuteness of kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment